BUILDING & PLANNING DEPARTMENT REQUIREMENTS FOR PHOTOVOLTAIC (SOLAR PANEL) INSTALLATIONS
The solar panel installer is responsible for insuring that all of the code requirements are met and permits issued.
Required permits are: Development, Building and Electrical Permits.
Planning Department / Development Permit Requirements:
• Outside of the Conservation District, Class D Permit
• Within the Conservation District, Class C Minor Permit
• Letter of approval from the Homeowners Association (strongly suggested)
Refer to the Breckenridge Development Code, reference Section 9-1-19, Policy 5 (Absolute) regarding solar panel policies
Building Department Permits / Building & Electrical Permit Requirements:
• Meet with a Town of Breckenridge Planner (see above requirements)
• Building Permit (Submit a completed building permit application, along with two photovoltaic system electrical diagram drawings, stamped by a Colorado licensed engineer)
• Electrical Permit
• Must be certified by North American Certified Energy Practitioners (www.nabcep.org)
• Must have a current Town of Breckenridge Business License, available through the Town Clerk's Office (970- 453-3182)
Electrical Contractor Requirements
• Colorado State and Town of Breckenridge licensed electrical contractor
• Electrical installations are subject to Article 690, 2008 NEC
• See sample diagram of minimum required electrical plans
Inspection & Sign-off Requirements
• Planning inspection must be scheduled 24 hours prior to electrical / building inspections
• Final electrical and building inspections must be called in for the same day
• Certificate of Completion issued upon Planning & Building Departments sign-offs
To learn about the Colorado State Solar Rebate Program please visit
www.coseia.org or www.colorado.gov/energy
Questions? Contact the Planning Department at 970-453-3160 or the Building Department at 970-453-3180.
Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.
©2013 Town of Breckenridge. All Rights Reserved. Website Created by Vision Internet