Producing a Special Event


Special Event Permit Application (SEPA)

Here are some quick facts about the special events permitting process:

The Town of Breckenridge requires a special event permit for any outdoor special event with an expected attendance of 50 or more people. A special event is defined as a planned occurrence which includes an expected gathering of 50 or more people: (i) the primary purpose of which is entertainment; and (ii) to which the public or a substantial portion thereof is invited to attend, either by express invitation or by implication.

A Special Event Permit is required whether the event is on private or public property within the Town of Breckenridge limits.

An application for a special event permit (SEPA) shall be filed not less than forty-five days (45) nor more than three hundred sixty five (365) days before the special event is proposed to begin. An application (SEPA) may be submitted less than 30 days prior to the event, but a late application will be subject to an increased permitting fee and there may be additional requirements due to the lateness of the permit.

A permit issued under the Special Events Ordinance is not a special events liquor license. A special event liquor license must be applied for through Finance & Municipal Services (aka Town Clerks) office. Please find more information about how to apply for a special event liquor license herePlease note that you must apply for a special event liquor license at least 30 days prior to the proposed begin of the event. 

All special event permit applications (SEPA) are reviewed by the Breckenridge Events Committee, and then the SEPA Review Group, comprised of various Town departments including Community Development, Finance & Municipal Services, Police, Public Works, and Communications as well as the Red White and Blue Fire Protection District, the Breckenridge Tourism Office and any other person or agency that the Town Manager determines should investigate and comment on the application.

An applicant may be required to pay a fee if utilizing Town of Breckenridge property and/or resources. 

Please contact the Special Event Permit Administrator at the Breckenridge Tourism Office with questions and/or for assistance with the special events permitting process: Sydney Schwab at (970) 453-5020 or

Please find a copy of the Special Events ordinance here

Main Street Banner Permit

The Town of Breckenridge provides a space over Main Street at the intersection of Main Street and Lincoln Avenue to announce town events. The Main Street banner location may be reserved a maximum of 6 months out by filling out a Main Street Banner Permit Application. To make an inquiry regarding availability please email: or call Public Works Administration at 970-453-3170.

Photo/Video/Film Shoot Permit

A photo/video/film shoot permit shall be required whenever filming/photographing/videoing for commercial purposes within the Town limits, whether on or from Town of Breckenridge or private property. This permit is not required for private social events such as weddings. 

An applicant may be required to pay a fee if utilizing Town of Breckenridge property and/or resources.

Please contact the Special Event Permit Administrator at the Breckenridge Tourism Office with questions and/or for assistance with the photo/video/film permitting process: Sydney Schwab at (970) 453-5020 or

Application must be accompanied by a business license application and payment, or proof of a Town of Breckenridge business license.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Flash Player QuickTime Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer