Visit here for more information on COVID-19, including the public health orders,re-opening information, and Walkable Main Street information. 

Water FAQ's

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Why is there chlorine in the drinking water?

The disinfection of drinking water is required by the Environmental Protection Agency and the State of Colorado in order to protect the public health against pathogenic organisms. The Town of Breckenridge uses chlorine as a disinfectant. Chlorine is the most commonly used disinfectant in public drinking water systems and is credited for a large part of the 50% increase in life expectancy in the last century. After the introduction of chlorine to drinking water in the early 1900’s, waterborne diseases such as cholera, typhoid, dysentery and Hepatitis A have been virtually eliminated.

The amount of chlorine that is in the drinking water at the entry point to the distribution system varies throughout the year between 0.8 mg/L and 1.8 mg/L (parts per million). This amount of chlorine is considerably lower than the maximum allowable level of 4.0 mg/L, yet provides an adequate level of disinfection throughout the distribution system.

I can smell/taste chlorine in the water. What can I do?

Some people may be more sensitive to the taste and odor of chlorine than others, and the concentration of chlorine can vary depending on where you are in the Breckenridge water service area. Chlorine naturally dissipates into the air, so setting an open pitcher of water on the counter or in the refrigerator overnight is an easy solution for people who are more sensitive to chlorine. Another option is to install a point of use filter on your tap. Most point of use filters remove chlorine with activated carbon and can be found in local stores.

FAQs for Out-of-town eligibility to connect to Town water system 

FAQs for the Goose Pasture Tarn Dam slated repairs