Frequently Asked Questions

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

How long does it take to get a permit?
Each type of permit requires a different timeline depending on the scope of work and the entities that need to review the project. There fore it is difficult to estimate a general timeline for all permits. The Building Department Review time on average is two weeks. This timeline is in addition to each required sign off for the total project.

Electrical, plumbing and mechanical permits can generally be processed within one business day, if the application form is faxed to the Building Department at 970-547-3132. This allows staff to prepare the permits, and call the contractor when the permit is ready to be picked up and fees paid. 

How Much Will My Permit Cost?

Fees for permits vary depending on the scope of the project. Building Permit fees are generally based on the valuation of the project and the size of the project (in square feet).  To calculate fees, see our
Amendment Package for Building Fees

Building Permits

Fees are based on building valuations, which shall include total value of work, including materials and labor, for which the permit is being issued, such as electrical, gas, mechanical, plumbing equipment and permanent systems. If, in the opinion of the building official, the valuation is underestimated on the application, the applicant may need to show detailed estimates to meet the approval of the building official. Final building permit valuation shall be set by the building official. Please call the office at (970) 453-3180 for an estimated fee based on your building valuation.

Electrical, Plumbing and Mechanical Permits

Electrical, Plumbing and Mechanical permits and associated plan review fees are based on the Town of Breckenridge Building Department Fee Schedule. Electrical Permit fees are based on the State Electrical Board Fee schedule, plus 15% per the Town of Breckenridge Ordinance #19, Series 2008. Electrical Permit fees are based on square footage for  single family new construction and on valuation for all other projects.  Plumbing and Mechanical Fees are based on valuation per  the Town of Breckenridge Building Department fee schedule.

Do I need a business license to do work?
Yes. All contractors and subcontractors must have a business license if they are performing work in the Town of Breckenridge. A homeowner performing work on his own home does not need a business license, however, a building permit is still required. Contact the Finance Department for information on obtaining a business license: (970) 453-3182

Can I post a guarantee if not finished with work? 

Sometimes in the winter months.
Certain work that cannot be completed due to winter weather may be guaranteed with a cash deposit. This includes landscaping, driveway paving and exterior paint or stain. All other work must be completed before a Certificate of Occupancy will be issued. A site completion deposit may be allowed for these items if the weather (at the time of the issuance of a Certificate of Occupancy) will not allow these items to be completed. Generally, site completion deposits are allowed only from Halloween until Memorial Day. The deposit amount will be based on a bid from the contractor for the estimated cost to complete the work, plus 25%. All estimates should include the cost of materials plus the cost of installation by a professional. Homeowners who will be doing the installation themselves will need a bid from a local contractor. The owner is required to deposit this money with the Town until the work is complete. If the owner fails to perform the required work adequately, the Town may use the money deposited to complete the work. If the work is completed adequately, the deposit will be returned to the owner, no interest will be paid on any site completion deposit.

What needs to be finished before I receive a Certificate of Occupancy?
Before a Certificate of Occupancy will be issued, the contractor must complete all required work on the project, including interior flooring, paint and other finish work. All subcontractor permits must also be finalized and approved, including final electrical, plumbing and mechanical inspections. In addition, the Planning Department will inspect the project for completeness. This will include all exterior paint and stain (including painting of metal vents, utility boxes and meters, and flashing), driveway paving, masonry, installation of landscaping and irrigation systems, and revegetation of disturbed soil areas. A site completion deposit may be allowed, at the option of the Town, to guarantee the completion of work that cannot be completed during the winter months (i.e. landscaping, exterior paint and driveway paving).  Generally, site completion deposits are allowed only from Halloween until Memorial Day.  Projects must be free of construction materials, trash, dempsters, and portable toilets. Sewer cleanouts should be cut down to a few inches above grade. 

What Type of Plans Do I Need?

The amount of plan detail required for review depends upon the scale/complexity of the project. Any project that involves structural changes major or minor must be completed by a Colorado Licensed Design Professional. Please see submittal requirements for further clarification. Please note that these are the Building requirements and other departments or entities have their own submittal requirements.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer