Visit here for more information on COVID-19, including the public health orders,re-opening information, and Walkable Main Street information. 

Short Term Rentals

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


As of June 1st, 2020, short-term rentals are permitted to resume operations in Breckenridge, per Executive Order by Governor Polis and the Public Health Order from the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE).  CDPHE guidance on operating short-term rentals can be found here.



Apply for a license


File your tax return

File a complaint

Update owner information button


Self-Compliance Statement button



*Airbnb will begin collecting Town of Breckenridge Sales and Accommodation Taxes on bookings made on or after October 1, 2019*


 *VRBO will begin collecting Town of Breckenridge Sales and Accommodations Taxes on bookings made on or after January 1, 2020* For all bookings prior to January 1, 2020, owners are responsible for collecting and remitting Town Sales Tax (2.5%) and Accommodations Tax (3.4%), a total of 5.9%.

 Short Term Rental Licensing Guide

Recent Developments:  

  • Effective January 1, 2019 the Town has implemented a third party nuisance management system to file complaints or report issues with short term rentals. STR Helper, (970) 368-2044 or
  • The Business and Occupational License (BOLT) Ordinance for the Town of Breckenridge was revised by Town Council at the August 28, 2018 meeting. Short Term Rental Regulations Ordinance

     The major changes that were incorporated into the new ordinance are:

    1. Updating the Special Conditions of License for all accommodation units,

    2. Adding an annual accommodation administrative fee, and

    3. Requiring properties to provide a registered agent to respond timely to potential complaints.

  • Per Breckenridge Town Code 4-1-8-3 Special Conditions of License; Advertisement of an Accommodation Unit, it is the responsibility of the accommodation unit owner to provide current property information to the Town of Breckenridge, including listing numbers and platforms utilized. Please complete the "Update Owner Information" survey to ensure you have provided the Town with up to date listing information. 

    If you received a notification and your property is not in the Town Limits of Breckenridge, please contact Airbnb directly to update your taxing jurisdiction. To locate your taxing jurisdiction, please visit and search for your property. In the lower left hand box you will see "Jurisdiction".Jurisdiction 

Administrative Regulations Short Term Rentals

For information please see the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):

Frequently Asked Questions on 2018 Short Term Rental Regulations

Other Notable Developments: 

  • On June 13, 2017 Breckenridge Town Council adopted an ordinance amending Breckenridge Town Code requiring those Advertising Short Term Rental Units to list their Town License Number in all advertisements. Please see the link to the Ordinance and the Administrative Guidelines for further information.

Accommodation Unit Advertising Ordinance

For information please see the Administrative Guidelines:

Administrative Regulations Accommodation Unit Advertisements

  • The Town of Breckenridge has contracted with a 3rd party contractor, Harmari by LTAS Technologies, to assist in Short Term Rental Compliance. Harmari, along with the Finance Department, will be utilizing a module in order to identify unlicensed and non-compliant Accommodation units within the Town.

  • In January 2019, the Town will be adding a call center to address the complaint resolution portion of the short term rental regulations.


Town of Breckenridge Accommodation Sales Tax Rates

12.275% Sales and Accommodation Tax Lodging (Motel, Hotel, Condo rental less than 30 days) Tax Breakdown - 2.9% State (remit to State), 2.5% Town Sales (remit to Town), 3.4% Town Accommodation (remit to Town), 0.725% MHA Town (Remit to State Special District), 2.75% County Tax (remit to State)


Tax Rates on $100 Lodging Sale Pie Chart - 3.4% Town Accommodation Tax, 2.5% Town Sales Tax, 2.9% State Tax, 0.75% MTS County Tax, 2.0% County Town, 0.725% MHA Town


Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer


  • Is VRBO charging Breckenridge sales and accommodation taxes?
  • Does AirBnB collect and remit my Breckenridge sales tax?
  • Who is responsible for paying for the license?
  • Do I need a license before advertising my accommodation unit/short term rental?
  • Where can I find the Town’s requirements for advertising an accommodation unit?
  • What is an advertisement?
  • How should a BOLT license number be displayed in an advertisement?
  • How do I list my list my License Number in AirBnB Advertisements?
  • What are the conditions of the license with respect to advertisements of an accommodation unit?
  • When is the license number required to be shown in an advertisement for the rental of an accommodation unit?
  • What if I own a timeshare and advertise it on my own to rent?
  • What if I recently purchased my unit and plan to rent it out?
  • How will the Town contact a party who is advertising an accommodation unit in violation of the Section 4-1-8-3 of the BOLT Ordinance”?
  • Are there penalties for noncompliance with the accommodation units advertising requirements of Section 4-1-8-3 of the BOLT Ordinance?
  • What else can happen if I don't list my license number in advertisements?
  • How do I find out if my property is located with the Town?
  • What is the fine structure for non-compliance?
  • What happens if an owner doesn’t comply with special conditions of licensure?
  • What is the inspection process?
  • Who will conduct the inspection?
  • What does it mean the Town can inspect my short term rental?
  • Are there special conditions associated with renting your unit in the Town?
  • Are any properties exempt from paying the accommodation unit administrative fee?
  • How much does it cost to get an accommodation unit/short-term rental license?
  • How do I apply for my license and pay the license fee?
  • What does it mean to respond to a complaint? Is the Responsible Agent required to respond in person?
  • When should the Alternate Responsible Agent be contacted?
  • What is an Alternate Responsible Agent?
  • What is the difference between a Responsible Agent and a Rental Agent?
  • Does a Responsible Agent need to register with the Town?
  • What is a Responsible Agent? What is the Responsible Agents’ role?
  • What is an accommodation unit under the Town of Breckenridge BOLT ordinance?
More FAQs